Monday, March 7, 2011

And so it begins!

Writing is therapeutic for me, always has been and probably always will be! So what other way to make myself accountable for my weight loss journey than to sit and write about it!
Where shall I start? I’ve been overweight (according to national standards) since I learned how to spell, being pretty tall for a woman (5’7”) has allowed me to disguise my weight very often in life. There are times when I could definitely get away with saying that I was 170 when I was really 190 or sometimes even higher. About 3 ½ years ago right after my 30th birthday I saw a picture of myself, and for the first time in my life I think I had a true look at me, and boy was I disgusted! I couldn’t believe I’d allowed myself to gain so much weight, and convince myself that I was happy being a “heavy duty cutie”. I decided that day that I had to do something. It all became very serious to me shortly after I met with an endocrinologist for the first time and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome (PCOS). When the doctor and I discussed all of the symptoms I had, especially the rapid weight gain, it all made since…but his only solution was to loose weight or else you’re going to have diabetes. That word scared the ish out of me, and then started the journey….

Now I’m not going to tell you where I started in weight back then. I guess I’m still hung up on numbers but I will tell you that in 2.5 years I have lost over 40 lbs ….I’ve gone up and down in weight in this journey because of my lack of commitment (there are pictures below of my starting point, some progress and my current body size).  Though I’ve lost  I still have quite a bit more to get to where I’m healthy and comfortable with myself. What’s my goal? To loose another 40-50 pounds, but more importantly to take a boudoir picture that would make my future husband extremely proud one day. (Don’t laugh ‘cause I’m serious!) 

I know what it takes to do this, balanced diet, exercise & dedication! I’ve got all three in check but that doesn’t mean this is a piece of cake. If you’ve ever attempted to loose 5 pounds you know this is a major struggle and journey to complete. But still I’m ready! I’m ready to not only loose the weight, be able to shop in a regular darn store for good (no more “plus” sizes, x’s or w’s in my clothes dammit!). But I’m also ready for a lifestyle commitment that will guarantee maintaining a healthy lifestyle not just today but for the rest of my life.

Pic 1 My fed-up/starting point, November 2008, size 22, Age 30
Pic 2 Feburary 2010, after jumping on and off the weight loss wagon for 2.5 years, size 16 Age 31
Pic 3 Feburary 2011, 40 lbs later and truly committed, size 14/16 Age 32

Aspiration: Size 10/12 & ability to run a ½ marathon, to be nutritionally educated and establish a true passion for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  And don’t forget my boudoir pic…LOL



1 comment:

  1. Nice to see that I have rubbed off on my sister with the boudoir photo..lol

    ReplyDelete